Are you an ambitious singer, song writer, producer, musician, or music entrepreneur, who desires success in the music business? If so, beware! The music business is notorious for using and abusing individuals who aren’t informed on the in’s and out’s of this industry. Here are 7 fantastic tips to point you in the right direction.
1. First and foremost hire a competent Attorney who specializes in the music business. Just like any other profession, there are good Attorneys and there are bad Attorneys. That’ s why when considering an Attorney you should ask for references.
Ask for a list of other clients from the musically business they have worked with. This list should include a variety of musically followers like recording artist, songwriters, production companies, publishing companies, and record companies. This should give you a good indication of their experience.
Attorneys should be happy to provide you with this list. If that’s a problem, find another Attorney. Also, stay away from those Attorneys who only seem interested in making a quick buck. Steer clear of the slick-talking, dealing guaranteeing types. Trust your gut impression.
2. Treat it like a business. It’s called the music business for a reason, because it is a business. Some individuals who are really into their craft, whether it be a singer, song writer, producers or musician, feel that just being talented is enough. As a result, they don’t spend time on the less glamorous part of the free musically fans like contracts, financial statements, royalties ,etc. You should assume a mature, responsible hands on approach to this business. History is replete with individuals who allowed others to handle their business affairs only to realize that they had been cheated out of thousands or even millions of dollars!
3. Be responsible for your own finances. You should get your self a good account, but you should write and sign your own checks. You should keep every receipt.
4. Be goal oriented. Generally speaking, individuals and companies who have clearly defined goals, are more successful than those who don’t. What are your goals? Just how far do you want to go in the music business and when do expect to get there? Having clearly defined objectives will keep you highly motivated when you experience those inevitable road blocks and set backs.
5. Be progressive. You should always look to improve your self and your craft in every way. When you strive to achieve excellence in what you are doing it will eventually show and sooner or later you will attract those individuals in the music business who are looking for unique and talented individuals.
6. Promote yourself to your free followers on musically. Don’t be passive and think that a record company or manger is totally responsible for getting your name out there. While they should do their part, you should always be looking for ways to get more exposure.
Ideally, you will want to look for low cost and even no cost methods of promoting yourself such as press releases, word of mouth and the internet.
You should really become familiar with internet marketing because you can really get the word out to a huge number of people very in-expensively or even free. Places like MUSICALLY is a GOD SEND for aspiring individuals in the music business.
7. Be persistent! Always know that you are going to make it. Others will try and convince you that you can’t do it. They will point to others who tried and failed, but don’t listen to them. When you strive for great things there will always be individuals who will try to tell you that it can’t be done.